internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mitnick

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mitnick
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:11:30 -0500 (EST)

I look up to the MIT era hackers, but can't bring myself to even consider
Mitnik a hero. The destructive nature of his attacks do not deserve to be
called hacking. It is vandalism pure and simple. As for breaking into the
networks of big corporations, big deal. Having worked for a few ISP's I
think it's very surprising it's not happening a lot more. I believe that
Tsutomu Shimomura and Mark Lotter put Mitnik in his place, out of
business. I don't believe that after being out of the game he has a chance
of catching back up, sorry. Even blaming it on his taunting shows how
imature he was anyway. I guess that is why pimply faced kids idolized him,
they like dick and fart jokes as well.

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, David R. Matusiak wrote:
> well, it could be that he was able to bypass security at 10+ of the
> world's biggest software and computer development firms, download
> whatever the flip he wanted, and leave without so much as a blip on a
> screen. truly fascinating, and considering how much further internal
> security has improved since then, he may be the last of the "lone
> ranger" types. a freakin' hero to millions of pimply-faced, immature
> 30 yr olds.
>
> oh, and that he put Raleigh on the map as far as computer crime. :)
>
> > Obviously Tsutomu Shimomura's kung fu was much stronger...
>
> not quite. i think the way this was abused by the media made Tsutomu
> appear much brighter than he is. no doubt, he is a sharp one --
> running IDS software on his internal home net years before that was
> either commonplace or easy-to-implement. but still, he was just an
> annoyance to Mitnick and his (Kevin's) downfall probably had more to do
> with his desire to taunt and humiliate Shimomura than anything else.
>
> Mitnick also had a radio show, which the feds made him give up (IIRC).
> can't touch a computer (or anything computer-like; i.e. cell-phones,
> fancy watches, etc) for several years. so, he wrote a book. i hope he
> can get back into the game soon and help whip critical infrastructure
> computing security into shape.
>
> we'll see...
> /drm
>
> > On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 machett AT ibiblio.org wrote:
> >> anyone notice that Kevin Mitnick has a book out?
> >> apparantly he's reformed now, working for the Man...
> >>
> >> -Alan
> >
> > Scott H. Zekanis

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
scott AT thehellbenders.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1951 Kaiser Henry J (4" chop, 60's custom front end, bellybutton)