internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: bio-diesel in the triangle

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: tengu <tengu AT unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: bio-diesel in the triangle
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:55:44 -0500

On Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002, at 12:27 US/Eastern, Michael Best typed:
A search on AFDC web site for biodiesel stations found that the town of Garner has a station for government use only. But that was the only one within this area.
< I do not, unfortunately, have a diesel vehicle yet. I have, however, been playing with biodiesel as a kerosene alternative for fire breathing. http://www.mythic-fire.com/fuels.html
Making your own biodiesel is a simple process of transesterification. In the presence of lye, methanol and grease swap some hydrocarbons. Use ethanol if you're going to put it in your mouth. What settles out is a big cake of glycerin, which Tyler says you can use to make soap. Tyler's full of useful information, as is ISBN0-9664616-1-4, _From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank_. If you have a diesel already and don't want to make your own biodiesel, why not run it on straight oil? http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/ urltrurl?lp=de_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biocar.de%2Finfo%2Fprodukt.htm
Rudolf Diesel's original engine was designed to run on pure vegetable oil. His body disappeared crossing the English channel. His design was later modified for petroleum diesel and produced en masse. There is no connection between the preceding statements. Shut up. Be happy.
"Fat of the Land" is a wonderful film about an unmodified Ford econoline full of women driving across the country making biodiesel in the parking lots of fast-food joints.
While recently trying to rent a PO box, I was asked for two forms of ID, and then asked "Why are you here?" I was then told they would run an "address verification" by mailing a letter to the address on my driver's license and tracing it to the PO box I wanted to forward my mail from, because I was "from out of town" (why else would I want my mail forwarded?) While the clerk was explaining this, I was collecting my forms and ID, and by the time the explanation was over I was out the door.
Enduring freedom,
tengu
---
... more men are in love with war than ever get a chance to fight one, and ... more guns are bought to satisfy this love than for a pardonable purpose. -johnLeCarre

  • [internetworkers] Re: bio-diesel in the triangle, tengu, 12/03/2002