internetworkers - [internetworkers] fax blocker

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: machett AT ibiblio.org
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] fax blocker
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:15:34 -0500

so I was thinking the other day, staring at yet another unwanted fax, hasn't
somebody out there designed or coded something for this? If we can filter
email and if we can use caller id, then why the hell can't my fax machine
filter or block unwanted faxes?

A MetaCrawler and a Google search produced little results. One item places
too much burden on the fax owner and her legitimate contacts, and the other
seems no longer in production.
http://www.napsnet.com/pdf_archive/95/51575.pdf
http://www.talkingcallerid.com/discussion/_disc1/000001fe.htm

The latter contains an aside about the local phone company picking up this
duty (blocking phone numbers), but I'm going to venture the guess that it's a
cumbersome process.

Any ideas on:
(1) what form it should take and the coding for it (I would like something
that worked very much like email filtering -- I can build a list either of
accepted callers or a list of unaccepted callers)
(2) why, it seems, the market for this is rather empty

just thoughts...
Alan

  • [internetworkers] fax blocker, machett, 11/23/2002