internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: 'An Open Letter to the Members of Congress' from The Nation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chris Hedemark <chris AT yonderway.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: 'An Open Letter to the Members of Congress' from The Nation
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:19:13 -0400

If you actually want to send an opinion on this matter to your elected representatives, I might suggest being shorter and to the point. Perhaps even make the first sentence "I want you to vote $OPINION on the President's proposal for initiating war against Iraq." Usually these letters are read by staffers, and tallied either for or against an issue. Very few letters actually make it in front of congressmen, and I am inclined to think that a long letter such as this one would have an especially hard time getting that kind of attention.

The KISS policy works well with this sort of thing.

FWIW I am personally on the fence on this issue. I have no love for Hussein. But at the same time, I believe the U.S. should take the moral high ground when it comes to bullying weaker nations. I'm inclined to want to come up with a creative solution, like dumping billions into revamping our transportation infrustructure to alternative & renewable fuels on an aggressive timetable. It makes good sense on many levels.