internetworkers - [internetworkers] need knowledgable subjects for privacy research study beginning early Sept.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ben Brunk <brunkb AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] need knowledgable subjects for privacy research study beginning early Sept.
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:37:08 -0400

Interested in the subject of online privacy? Willing to engage in some
structured discussion about software tools and features that help people manage privacy? How about a chance to win a Rio One, digital audio player while helping someone with their dissertation research? Then participate in my Delphi study. I am in the midst of the research for my dissertation entitled "Understanding the Privacy Space." This is a groundbreaking study of the state of the art inprivacy tools, systems, and services from a human-computer interaction perspective.

My analysis of over 100 privacy tools, systems and services has led to a
preliminary framework for categorizing privacy solutions based on their
role and the intended roles of their features. Now I need your help to
test this framework.

The Delphi study will assemble a panel of knowledgeable individuals via the Internet. You will examine the framework, categorize features, and then prioritize features within these categories. This study requires three to four rounds of interaction with approximately one hour of time for each round. While this may sound excessive, bear in mind that you can participate in this study from any computer that has access to the Internet and that each stage will take place over a period of weeks. You will not be required to interact with other study participants and your identity will be kept confidential at all times. Because this is a Delphi study, you will see the results as they develop and I will be happy to provide a copy of the full dissertation to you when it is completed. Anyone who successfully completes the study will be added to the drawing for a free MP3 player.

To register for this study, go to: http://squash.ils.unc.edu/delphi/registration.html or to find out morevisit: http://squash.ils.unc.edu/delphi

Please forward this e-mail to any of your colleagues who you think have the kind of background I am looking for. I'm trying to get 50 people to participate.

Thanks for your time,

Ben Brunk
Interaction Design Laboratory
UNC Chapel Hill

  • [internetworkers] need knowledgable subjects for privacy research study beginning early Sept., Ben Brunk, 08/26/2002