internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Slate: Music industry's wounds are self-inflicted

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas C. Meggs" <tom AT plik.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Slate: Music industry's wounds are self-inflicted
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:09:00 -0400

And for yet another perspective...

One of my friends emailed me this the other day. It's a report from Forrester Research. The file name should give some it away. :) It's definitely worth checking out.

http://plik.net/download/Forrester_Downloads_Save_the_Music_Business.pdf

Regards,
Tom

David Minton wrote:
I am not sure if I read it here, but I recall reading that the RIAA
"research study" was highly flawed. They looked at RETAIL music sales in
areas with large concentrations of college aged people (i.e. college towns)
during Napster's run. Hmm, college aged people, I wonder if they may be
buying CDs ONLINE? Well, the RIAA did not consider that a possibility; if
they were not buying CDs retail, they must be pirating through Napster.

The better part is that if you looked at the data from the same areas before
Napster, you could see the trend had already begun. The RIAA also considered
this irrelevant.

I guess there is a new line of work for "creative accountants" laid off from
Arthur Anderson; they can calculate statistics for the RIAA.

Just my opinion, of course.

David