internetworkers - [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers digest, Vol 1 #34 - 11 msgs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Steve Steele" <Steve AT mindbenderstudios.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers digest, Vol 1 #34 - 11 msgs
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:15:20 -0400

Hello Marla

I doubt if you will find a single comprehensive list as most organizations
that put on networking events are somewhat territorial. The Triangle
Business
Journal does the best at listing events but they tend to miss some of the
less
prominent goings on. Here are some orgs and their events. I apologize about
the
length, but I thought some others may want this info as well.

Raleigh Chamber
- Business After Hours: Is the best for meeting new faces.
- Lunch and Learn: More intimate but people are power-networking
- AM Networking: (There are 3 different groups) Hit or miss on the
value
here
- New Members Reception: Awesome place to stand up and do a 30 second
verbal
on your company. Of course you have to be a member. But I do them
ongoing
even though I've been a member for a couple of years. At the end of
the
event
they give you a Xerox of all the attendees business cards.
- Round Table: "VERY" intense networking where you do a 3 minute
presentation
on your company about 10 times to over 80 people 5 to 7 listeners at a
time.

Here is their calendar

http://www.chamberhub.com/cgi/foxweb.exe/commcale/99calemain?cc=GRCOC&sd=07/
01/2002&action=next

Durham Chamber
I don't participate much here. I find this group to be a little too
clickish, and sometimes their events are too much about the party
rather than the networking, But that's just my opinion.
Their Calendar:
http://www.thechamber.net/cgi-bin/foxweb.exe/commcale/99calemain?cc=DCCNC

Business Leader Magazine's The Gathering
Their networking is a strong as the Raleigh Chambers. I just went to
it
yesterday and made some decent contacts.
http://www.businessleader.com/events.html

Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
Their event is tonight. If I can get dinner cooked in time I'll head
out
to that event. The value is hit or miss. Sometimes their crowded with
plenty of folks to meet, and sometimes it's just the click folks.
Their web site is usually out of date.
http://www.hccnc.org/calendar.htm

The Cary Chamber
Their event is every bit as good as the Raleigh Chamber. For me they
have
their events to far out. And you can't hit to many of their events
before
they require that you become a member. Go figure?!?. It's not that
expensive,
I think it's about $340, same with the Raleigh Chamber.
http://www.carychamber.com/www/Calendar/CalendarIndexB3.htm

Leads Groups
If you read the TBJ, (See above) they will list Leads groups and
where the
groups meet. The leads groups operate under the premises that as
while each
group member is in the process of searching for sales opportunities
for
their
own company, they are also keeping an eye out for leads for group
members
as
well. You have to find a good group that is really committed, because
you
could spend months in a group that keeps feeding you weak leads
before you
finally realize that the group is not serving you well.
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/

Lastly, Your Natural Network
The most productive source of new sales opportunities is the people
you
know
and love. Get them clear on what you do. And ask them for a an intro
someone
who they believe could benefit from your services.

Hope this is helpful. Sorry to those not interested in networking.

Steve S.

Hello fellow Internetworkers:

I have started a new company to help small to mid-size businesses take
advantage of Linux and other open source software. I am now working on
getting the word out, and would appreciate any recommendations for business
networking events. The primary focus is to let non-technical business
owners/managers know that they have a range of options in language that
makes
sense to them (as opposed to technical discussions with technical people).

What meetings/events have you attended that you would recommend? And does
anyone know of a comprehensive listing on a website somewhere?

Thanks,
Maria

--
Maria Winslow