internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] wage review

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Dan Smith <anilorac AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] wage review
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:36:47 -0400

Deborah,

As a recruiter, I often speak with a wide cross section of people, and you are right about the outdated salary information. Employers nationally have tried tightening wages in nearly all positions.

I don't know offhand what you should ask, but here is a suggestion on how to handle such events.

Since our local market swings according to the number of available professionals in a given discipline at any time, it might be best to feel out the employer's pay range. You can be up front and direct with agency representatives, but be subtle when speaking with the final hiring manager. At some point in the proecss, they ought have asked about your salary requirements.

When the topic is introduced, you might want to respond by saying you are negotiable based on opportunity without a firm number in mind. You should mention the past part time wages, and follow with a commitment to be flexible. Then is a good time to ask what range the company has in mind for someone in the role, and if it doesn't meet your living requirements, suggest an alternate within reason relative to the employer offer.
If the offer is simply out of the ballpark, advise the employer so, and politely close the discussion leaving open the possibility of a future relationship.

Good luck!
Dan

Deborah Ellington wrote:

Hey all you people,

I hope this is not a terribly inappropriate question. I have just finished
school and have some interviews coming up next week for web design/graphic
design positions. I don't really have a sense of what this kind of
position should pay, though. While in school I worked on freelance and
contract assignments and I got paid anywhere from 20-35 per hour but my
intuition is that nobody is going to pay me that kind of money on a
fulltime basis. Most of the wage information I can find online is
outdated, based on the 1999 era of endless venture capital. I have not
exactly been inundated by interview requests so I do not want to price
myself out of consideration, but neither do I want to settle for less than
a fair wage. FWIW, I have advanced skills in Dreamweaver, Flash,
Photoshop, Illustrator, and I have a pretty decent portfolio (I think).

Please don't anyone tell me how much YOU make, but if you are in a
position to know what a starting salary might be for an entry-level or
junior design position, maybe you could share it? Replies to me privately
at deborah AT invincigirl.com rather than to the list would be fine.

Thanks,
Deborah

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/