internetworkers - Re: have any opinions on islam? or martyrdom?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Diana Duncan" <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: have any opinions on islam? or martyrdom?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:26:56 -0400

Well, I do have some thoughts on martyrdom, applicable to any religion or
other group where people think it's cool to kill oneself (or die) for the
cause:

1. Martyrs are cowardly - they avoid facing any of the consequences of their
action in the real world. They do not have to face the families and loved
ones affected (including their own).

2. Martyrs are lazy - they claim to be willing to make the ultimate
sacrifice for the cause, but in taking themselves out of the picture, they
no longer have to do any more work for the cause.

3. Martyrs are vain - they are seeking fame and approval without having to
do much to gain it or keep it.

4. Martyrs are stupid - if they believe all the lies about the rewards
awaiting them in the afterlife.

5. Martyrs are sinners - they want a shortcut to "paradise" without having
to live a decent life. Sort of like buying indulgences used to work.

OK, 4 and 5 are only applicable to religions, but the other thoughts equally
apply to the radical environmentalists who fall out of treehouses.

Diana