internetworkers - Local Libraries Refuse To Censor, In Spite Of The Feds (link)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Local Libraries Refuse To Censor, In Spite Of The Feds (link)
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:09:52 -0400

The board for the public library in Chapel Hill has joined the Durham public
library and has voted to not install filtering software on their computers. If
ratified by the town, they will loose federal subsidies because of this
stance. The filtering software companies apparently set their price at almost
exactly what the C.H. library would stand to loose in subsidies.

http://herald-sun.com/orange/10-232066.html

<snip/>
"It tends to block totally legitimate sites and doesn't block sites we would
not like kids to have access to," said Bob Schreiner, chairman of the library'
s board of trustees.
<snip/>
The bill, sponsored by a group of lawmakers that included Sen. John McCain,
R-Ariz., passed late in 2000 and threatens libraries with a cutoff of federal
aid if they don't comply.
<snip/>
"The software that is the accepted solution doesn't work well and isn't ever
likely to work well, I'm told," he said. "It's like junk e-mail; they will
find some way to get their message through."

  • Local Libraries Refuse To Censor, In Spite Of The Feds (link), Michael D. Thomas, 05/30/2002