internetworkers - RE: Linux on 486 machine\?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: froglips AT sprintmail.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Linux on 486 machine\?
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:29:51 -0400

David,

Viva La 486

I run Slackware Linux (yes, good old slackware) on 486 machines with no
problems since '94.

I've got an old compaq laptop 486-SX25 with 16M ram. I even run X (basic
window managers of course).

It also works great on my 486DX4-100 pc.

You are giving up performance on some of the high end stuff, but it works
fine.

If you can live without X, the sky's the limits.

Don't forget, anyone can install new stuff on new stuff, but it takes a true
masochist to shoe horn linux on old equipment.

Why, I remember a time when an install included complete physical disassembly
of my pc and hand drawn maps of motherboards.....

GUI Install? I laugh in it's general direction!

I've not tried Mandrake or RedHat on my 486 boxes, but I'll give it a go and
let you know what happens.

Enjoy!

Jim Campbell