internetworkers - RE: geek on the street: windows XP?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: geek on the street: windows XP?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:23:52 -0400

Thomas,

I have put w2000 on plenty of laptops (and other computers) and have not
had a chance to play with XP much yet, and IMHO w2000 works very well on
laptops. However, I would still leave XP on it, because, well, it is
already on there. If you downgrade a Windows version from a factory
install you could potentially run into headaches getting drivers for all
of your hardware devices that you have in your laptop. Yes, you can turn
off that Looney Tunes interface. Look for something called 'Windows
Classic' view, (or something like that - don't have an XP machine in
front of me for reference). That will make XP look and feel closer to
2000 and previous versions of Windows and may be easier to stomach.
Whatever you do, do make sure to run Windows Updates (on the Start menu)
and install all of the available upgrades. Also, I heard from various
sources that the built in firewall leaves a lot to be desired and that
you're better off with the freeware version of Zone Alarm
(www.zonelabs.com) or most any of the commercially available ones, such
as Norton Personal Firewall.

On the other hand, XP is more resource intensive than 2000. Last year I
read a report that tested Release Candidate 1 of XP against 2000 in
various configurations and produced some hard data to support that XP is
maybe around 10% slower than 2000, regardless of what Microsoft wants
you to believe (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1505). If your
laptop has less than 256MB of RAM and you notice a lot of swapping to
virtual memory, or if the processor is not one of the newer ones and the
performance isn't that great, then you may want to consider downgrading
to w2000 and take your chances with the drivers.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Bill Geschwind
Technical Assistance Manager
Department of Technology and Systems Support
Division of Student Affairs, University of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill
03 Teague Hall, CB# 5510 (919) 962-5629
Chapel Hill, NC 27599 geschwin AT email.unc.edu