internetworkers - Re: Domain name squatting

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Domain name squatting
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:41:22 -0400

I haven't heard of any rule to that effect, although it would make a lot of sense. I have the impression that even some registrars are squatting on some domains. We'll just have to wait around 5-10 years for ICANN to come up with something.

You should start working on building your trademark case, and maybe in a few years you'd have a litigation angle. Right now, "Web Performance" is just too descriptive to support federal registration. Keep your clippings and publicity materials, though. You can eventually claim "secondary meaning" that ties those words uniquetly to your business and get a registration.

You can also register as a North Carolina trademark right now for cheap. Doesn't get you much for the Internet, other than a great date-stamp. But its a start.

Just sucks, don't it?

TaB