internetworkers - Information week on the Linux v. Windows issue

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
  • To: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT speakeasy.net>, InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Information week on the Linux v. Windows issue
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:32:52 -0500 (EsT)

From today's information week daily.
We can all find jobs with Burlington Coat Factory...

jw

** Windows Gains On Linux

Windows is gaining server market share in its battle with Linux,
according to a new survey. The question is, how much? U.K.
research firm Netcraft measured Web-server software use on more
than 38 million Internet-connected computers in March.
Linux-based Apache lost 4.67% market share, ending up with a
total of 53.76%. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows gained 4.89%, for
a share of 34.02%. Netcraft attributes much of that change to a
decision by Register.com and Network Solutions to switch their
domain services to Windows.

Some of the sites surveyed by Netcraft may be under construction
or aren't being used. That's why Stacey Quandt, a Giga
Information Group industry analyst, says the most relevant
market-share information is Netcraft's survey of active sites:
"It's a more accurate reflection of what's actually being used."
Separating active sites, Windows made only marginal gains,
increasing 0.67%, to 26.81%. Apache lost 0.81%, dropping to
64.37%.

One company that won't be boosting Microsoft's Web-server
software market share is Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse Corp.
Matt Fahrner, Burlington's manager of networking, has a
dyed-in-the-wool Unix shop. "We wouldn't move to Microsoft if you
twisted our arm and pulled it out of the socket." Besides, a 5%
gain in market share isn't very significant, he says. "It's not
surprising, given how XP is rolling out." His company started to
migrate from Solaris to Linux about two years ago, prompted by
the quantity of free software and quality of the operating
system. Plus, he says, support for Linux is sometimes better.
"There are so many user groups you can post messages to, and you
usually get responses back extremely quickly."

To encourage customers to switch from Unix, Microsoft and Unisys
Corp. have co-sponsored an ad campaign called "We Have The Way
Out," but, unofficially, it could be titled "Do As We Say, Not As
We Do." That's because the campaign's site,
www.wehavethewayout.com, had been powered earlier this week by an
open-source version of Unix called FreeBSD, according to
Netcraft, which tracks software used by Web sites. Tuesday, the
campaign site was switched to Microsoft's Internet Information
Server software. But it was not a good day for Microsoft--the
site went down before the day was out and remained out Wednesday
afternoon. A spokeswoman for Microsoft says the problem is being
examined. - Sandra Swanson

More on Linux
Vendors Spur Linux On
http://update.informationweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=eGdz0Bc5mz0V20BWYE0AG

Insurer Seeks Cost Savings With Linux Switch
http://update.informationweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=eGdz0Bc5mz0V20BZzp0AZ