internetworkers - Re: Greeting Card Spam?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT speakeasy.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Greeting Card Spam?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:18:41 -0800 (PST)

Neal --

as you may or may not be aware, the worldwide DNS system can already provide
you
/some/ of this information. "whois" is a command-line tool for tracing back
domain admin information. for those not interested in CLI tools, you can use
<http://www.betterwhois.com/>. i'm sure there are other ways to get this info
as
well (for example, Mac OSX has some built in GUI tools for this).

the problem is not getting the contact info, but getting anything DONE
related
to the abuse. often there is fake info given to registrars, so your
complaints
effectively go nowhere. even when there is factual contact info, they never
seem
to answer (or return) phone calls and abuse emails go unanswered.

the next step from here is to contact their ISP, host, provider, etc. as you
can
see, this begins eating all of the spare time you used to have. so, we tend
rely on imperfect systems like MAPS (and now-defunct ORBS) to "filter the
internet" for us. MAPS seems to have A LOT more enemies than i would have
ever
expected. abuse from all sides, as far as i can see...

so, until the crude, uneducated opportunists of the internet choose to
regulate
themselves (HA!) we will have these problems. or until the homeland security
office steps in and mentions that the spam issue has reached the level of RED
(or CRITICAL) and decides to bomb spammers offices "back to afghanistan."

m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t