internetworkers - Re: Linux in the schools (in the backdoor)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linux in the schools (in the backdoor)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:09:41 -0500

El dia Thursday 07 March 2002 08:56 am, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
> I voluntered to be a 'buddy' to families who will get New Internet
> Computers at my child's school, Mary Scroggs Elementary (aka Southern
> Village). The idea is that these network computer-ish devices can be
> placed in the homes of families that may not otherwise be able to afford a
> computer or to be on the net.

This is a cool idea. IS this a call for voluntieers?

> The computer is a diskless set up and quite inexpensive. The school has
> gotten monitors donated for the cause so the whole set up is only 200 -
> 250$. The computer runs almost entirely off a CD.
> So, of course, the OS is Linux (keeping that cost down)
> http://www.thinknic.com/thinknic/about/softwarefaq.html and yes it's all
> GLP'd http://www.thinknic.com/thinknic/about/gpl.html
> It all works great in the demo.
> You can access the net directly from the NiC, but the school and thinknic
> are encouraging the use of Citrix which let's you do distributed
> applications (aka running a windows window remotely on the NiC). So now
> you have a Windows window on the NiC with applications and files stored on
> the school's servers.

Have you heard of Linux Terminal Server Project?

http://www.ltsp.org

And the version for schools:

http://www.k12ltsp.org
http://k12os.org

They work pretty good, as one friend that uses K12LTSP at a school in Spain
told me. He also told me that it was a very easy to set up.

> To make matters more amusing, from the OS viewpoint, the school is
> standardized on very nice iMacs and iBooks several of which are in each
> classroom. Diversity, the Chapel Hill way of life.

This is agood policy: more than one supplier.

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/