internetworkers - "unsecure Microsoft software" is redundant.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: "unsecure Microsoft software" is redundant.
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:22:21 -0500

Hi!

With the latest release of Windos XP, we got all warm and fuzzy thinking on
how good and failproof is the new OS.

But we are avoiding one question.

Do you remember last year when Microsoft admited that unknown crackers had
been accessing their "next generation" products' source code?

What was "next generation" last year is... well, WindowsXP.

Do you really trust Microsoft? Do you believe that they have revised all the
source code for hidden backdoors, vulnerabilities and exploits... put there
by the crackers?

Please read this URL and think before putting WinXP in production. Alas,
Windows 2000 seems to work pretty nice [1]. And the Fisher-Price interface
is, well, non-essential for productivity.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3903/1/

Salut,
Josep

[1]: Yes, I still use exclusively Linux at home. I'm not that crazy. But at
some past company I used Win2000 and it was a pleasant surprise, with only
one crash a month. I considere it usable for corporate environments. Much
more that any other Windows9x / NT.
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve

  • "unsecure Microsoft software" is redundant., Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, 11/14/2001