internetworkers - Re: The need for speed.........

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The need for speed.........
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:44:46 -0400

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 11:39:11PM -0400, Robert Weeks spoke thusly:
> We just moved to this totally amazing house in Bahama last week, and the
> only drawback so far has been the lack of high speed internet access. Going
> from RoadRunner to a 56k dialup with Earthlink that really connects at 26.8
> is a drag.

I have the same sorts of problems down in Pittsboro, where DSL is
always "five months" in the future.

> Is anyone using ISDN anymore? Are there any good ISPs for ISDN? Earthlink

Well, sort of. ISDN is on the decline, and I'm *ALMOST* at the point
where dedicated ISDN is looking good.

pcstarnet.com is my current ISP, and their prices are OK. Service has
been flaky lately, as the different backbones change their ISDN
services. For example, one backbone just switched to 64K on Oct 1, but
only bothered to tell pcstarnet a few days later. One a lot of
backbones are only allowing 16/hrs per day, or they disable the account.

And since pcstarnet is in Nevada, it's sometimes taken me 3-4 hours
before I can get someone on the phone to fix things.

OTOH,it looks like 128K dedicated is at an all-time low of $85/month,
so I may just do that to avoid connection time limits and lockouts for
over-usage.

Until ISDN becomes unaffordable or unavailable, anyway. When that
happens, if Cable or DSL *STILL* isn't out here, I guess I'll either
be on dialup, or starting a co-op ISP...*grin*

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- New email : alchemist AT darkcanvas.com --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --
-- ICQ: 4855069 AIM: ksonney --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
-- Berkley Breathed, 2001