internetworkers - Re: more on WC3 & royalties

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: more on WC3 & royalties
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 13:51:47 -0400

on Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 01:25:32PM -0400, Scott Russell wrote:
> More references, same subject. I'm always amazed at our own ability to
> consistently shoot ourselves in the foot with such precision. It makes
> working for IBM very interesting. :)

The Web Standards Project has also responded:

http://webstandards.org

I'd recommend that everyone here read the entire policy proposal, the
FAQ, the backgrounder, and the W3C's response to the early flood of
criticisms. It's quite complex, and reacting out of fear isn't the
best way to go. I'd also be curious to hear what the lawyers on this
list have to say - I'm not a lawyer, but the policy changes seem
pretty straightforward to me; the question comes down to whether the
W3C will allow patented technologies to be incorporated into Web
standards, and if so, how. Most people have objected on principle to
the former, and have ignored the latter. My feeling is that we're
going to get the latter, so we need to focus on how, exactly, we'll
be getting screwed, when, and how often ;)

Steve