internetworkers - Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:47:00 -0400

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 01:23:05PM -0400, Chris Owens spoke thusly:
> Regarding the C# standards, isn't it following a similar model to that
> of Java and other products such as AppForge? The published plan is to
> allow for the Common Language Runtime (CLR) to be ported as necessary or
> desired to other platforms. This would allow code written in C# to run
> on other platforms. The JVM operates in a similar fashion does it not?

The JVM does operate ina similar fashion, but the JVM also tried to
maintain equal performance on every platform - leaving you to choose
your JVM based on which vendor you think runs best, and not which
vendor's OS their CLR runs on.

I expect, though, that a Linux CLR would run as well as IE runs on
Solaris.

I think their intent is to use their control of the desktop to co-opt
open standards an add proprietary extentions (like they did with
Kerberos). If Windows IP is incompatible with the Linux IP stack, the
bigwig isn't going to make MS change, he's going to force a new
"standard" on the company - elimination those "pesky non-compliant Unix
boxes that I can't print to any more" or somesuch.

At the moment, M$ has a three pronged attack against the markets and
open standards - one is through the windows monopoly, the second is
through embrace & extend, and the third is through legislation like
the UCITA and DMCA. The second and third are actually the most
dangerous, as the first can be overcome in a free market. But,
should reverse engineering be outlawed (as with some previsions in the
DMCA), and the companies granted the contols listed in the UCITA, an
embraced and extended "open" standard is now no longer useful to
anyone but MS - we can't reverse engineer it (by law) and even if we
do, we can't talk about it (which is one reason some projects are
moving their bases of operation outside the US).

let's not be fooled. Microsoft only has one plan - total dominance for
Microsoft. While I think I can see the reasoning behind the DoJ's
change of heart (mostl US economy related), I don't think that, in the
long run, ending the Windows Monopoly - or even changing the playing
field a little - will cahnge things without some other actions on the
parts of the people and the legislature. Or maybe that's the
hard Constitutionalist in me talking *grin*

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- New email : alchemist AT darkcanvas.com --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --
-- ICQ: 4855069 AIM: ksonney --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
-- Berkley Breathed, 2001