internetworkers - A whole lot of shoes

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger D." <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: A whole lot of shoes
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:18:59 -0400

Speaking of shoes and corporate standards:
Shoes are odd things. They are made mostly of dead cow skins and don't
compress very well. They have a wide range of costs. Some come wired
together at Kmart and some are sold like $25/lb chocolates in fancy
boutiques with foreign sounding names.
My sweetie has several thousand dozen pairs (hyperbole, but felt good) and
tried to cull some out of her collection several weeks ago since the closet
was bending. I understood without asking that this was to be a great
sacrifice since we don't have much storage space.
She spent a good bit of time going through them and admiring the shapes and
colors. As a nod towards our relationship, she did decide that two or three
pairs were horribly out of whack so they could go to the dump. The others
are back after they were gently fondled and caressed. I don't have the same
relationship with my footware as most so I didn't really understand the
nuiances of what was happening. Internal signals made me very careful to
admire the sacrifice of those few pairs destruction. Most of you will
understand one side of this or the other. I can just hope that the vacuum
left by the loss of those shoes doesn't mean that there will be additional
shoes anytime soon.

You may have noticed that my messages are coming from Outlook now rather
than the good ole basic email client. Did someone say "Corporate
Standard"...

Roger (in RTP)