internetworkers - Re: New WUNC schedule

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "U. Jason Gloege Jr." <crash AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New WUNC schedule
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:45:06 -0400 (EDT)

> While I agree that classical & jazz are pretty well covered in this market
> without WUNC, I'm sad that they felt the need to "feed the ratings" rather
> than be independently minded, in the true liberal spirit of Chapel Hill.
> Perhaps they should have taken a clue from my personal favorite public
> radio station:

If being independently minded backed them out of sufficient funding to
operate, how would the loss of their station altogether benefit listeners
at all?

Have no doubt, folks... we live in a commercial society. Sure, there are
philanthropic elements of our society (both private and organized) that
allow certain entities to avoid that reality for a period of time, but in
a tightening economy (something like a measly .2% growth in GDP over the
2nd quarter of the year, correct?), some of *those* avenues dry up as
well. If changing format garners them some ratings, and in so doing,
garners them some more donations, I'm all for it for the continued
presence of the other good things that the station brings.

Jason