internetworkers - Searching the cache and privacy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dallas Smith" <dallas.smith AT pobox.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Searching the cache and privacy
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:25:05 -0400

Wouldn't it be the "ethical" journalist's responsibility to say that the
unrelated information doesn't need to be published, not the police? If I
were writing a story about your murder, and it's obvoius that the gay porn
websites are not related in any way, I would think I would leave that out of
the story, because it's private and unrelated. I don't think I can be sued
for inflicting emotional distress on you since you're dead, but I think your
family can sue for emotional distress on them. Maybe I'm mixing up privacy
and libel.

Another thing that bugs me is that if it weren't for the connection that
Chandra had to the senator, we wouldn't even know about this. She would be
just another missing girl on the other side of the country...

Just my $.02,
Dallas