internetworkers - Re: Tightening the M$ screws....

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tightening the M$ screws....
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 15:26:30 -0400

Michael S Czeiszperger wrote:
> I think the larger intent is to create the impression that there's something
> "dangerous" about open source in order to prevent their customer base from
> getting involved *in any way* with any type of open source software. By
> clouding the issue they can create confusion about the whole issue so
> companies are afraid to have anything to do with anything that's not
> Microsoft.

Clearly. Look at the way that they lump Open Source code in with
"viral" software of any kind. It's as much a rhetorical device as a
contract term.

Also, they're trying to avoid having open source mixed up with their
proprietary code. It might result in M$ code being construed as open
source itself because of the open source component and the terms of
whatever open source license applies.

The "virus" to them is losing control of their intellectual property.

TaB