internetworkers - Re: Kodak scrambles to hire anti-trust lawyers after MS betrayal

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Kodak scrambles to hire anti-trust lawyers after MS betrayal
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:22:38 -0400

A Dimecres 04 Juliol 2001 15:04, vàreu escriure:
> on Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:38:48AM -0000, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
> > Its interesting that Kodak is somehow more worthy of protection that
> > software companies:

> Well, Kodak is another monopolist, after all. I'm sure if Microsoft
> tried to get into the business of providing consumer credit reports,
> licensing music, or funerary gear, they'd get smacked down, too.

Actualy, there are monopolies and monopolies that abuse of its position,
breaking the law (Sherman Act).

Being a Monopoly is not against the law. What it is against the law is
abusive practices and unfair business *because* you are the monopoly.

Right now, at least last week, I was able to select between different film
makers for my camera. And there are different photo-paper companies around.
And my camera is not even a Kodak.

So, maybe Kodak has a monopoly position (by its big share of the market)
*but* it is *not* forcing competition act with abusive practices.

On the other hand, Microsoft is just acting agains the Sherman Act. It has
done it before (Internet Explorar + Windows, Java, Compaq), it is doing it
now (OfficeXP, Kodak) and it will do it tomorrow (instant messaging).

Why? $30 bilion in the bank is a pretty good insurance against
too-lawful-politicians and megacorp-friendly-D.C.

Call me a dreamer, but I want Justice to win in the end, puting Microsoft
back in the right side of the Law, with nasty fines, vigilante-comitees, and
consumer-tech-savvy surveilance teams.

Maybe we will get a non-crashing Windows. Well, you will get it. I'm in the
non-Microsoft 10% camp (with Apple's, BSD's and Linux's users). <grin>

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve