internetworkers - First e-trade, now datek, help!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: First e-trade, now datek, help!
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:50:01 -0400

Greetings fellow internetworkers,

I could use a recommendation for a brokerage firm, preferable an online firm, but not necessarily.

I started out with E*Trade and bought quite a few shares through them. But since then I've been sitting on them, hoping to weather the dot-com bust.

Well, E*trade started a policy in which they are going to charge you an "account maintenance" fee if you don't have any trades in a certain time period. (I think it was 6 months). Arrrgh. How silly is that? So I dropped them like a hot potato and switched to Datek.

So in the past day or so, I got a similar notice from Datek. They had a different name for the fee but it's the same idea. They charge you a fee if you don't execute any trades in a certain time period.

So now I'm shopping around again for a brokerage firm. Anyone have any recommendations? I only occasionally buy and sell shares. Mostly I'm looking for a place to park my shares and ride out the hard times.

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.sff.net/people/powers/ true stories
"the revolution will not be televised" http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/