internetworkers - raleigh asks: what do techies want?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: raleigh asks: what do techies want?
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:21:36 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.newsobserver.com/friday/business/rtp_nc/Story/440887p-431478c.html
or in today's News and Observer.

some quotes:

If downtown Raleigh is to become a magnet for technology businesses, the
city's economic boosters say they'll have to come up with an aggressive
branding campaign to capture the imagination of those they are trying to
recruit. Also, they say they must develop more housing at lower prices, so
young technology workers can afford to live downtown.

[...]

The upshot of the meeting was that developers would work out a plan for
what they hope to do -- whether it's encouraging police to get rid of some
of the "bums and winos," as J.C. Erwin, president of Raleigh-based
networking group High Technology Network, said to audience applause, or
working up a pitch for economic incentives aimed at the high-tech set.

[but how will they tell the difference between slovenly techies and
well-dressed bums? and has anyone heard of the High Tech Network or
Erwin? - P]

"We want to be specific," said Errol Frailey,
president of the Downtown Raleigh Alliance. "We [need to] figure out what
these business like and don't like."

Paul Jones
"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!"
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As MetaLab.unc.edu
pjones AT ibiblio.org voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071