internetworkers - RE: [Long] Why Microsoft is a Dinosaur, Tony Stanco

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [Long] Why Microsoft is a Dinosaur, Tony Stanco
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:16:31 -0400

> My personal opinion on the viability of the GPL and other
> free software
> licensing schemes is that they invariably favor the business
> models of large
> corporations over startups. For example, at IBM, they make a
> lot of money
> from services and hardware, and the less they have to spend
> on software
> development and maintenance the higher their profit margins.
> Why would they
> want to keep 20,000 employees around to develop AIX when it takes a
> fraction of that amount to maintain Linux, and they can sell
> just as much
> hardware and services on Linux as AIX?

Amen! I don't really have any problems with the GPL - if I don't want
to follow it, I don't include GPL'd software in my products. It just
makes me queasy to see "FreeDevelopers.Net"
(http://FreeDevelopers.net/company/CommCo/ ) paint itself as some kind
of 'good guy' defender of software developers (against the evil
Microsoft), when it will ultimately undermine their ability to make a
living as an independent software author. There has to be a better way.

Paula Paul Paula AT PaulSoftware.com
Paul Software, Inc. http://www.PaulSoftware.com
tel 919.460.4539 fax 650.373.3025