internetworkers - Re: building a pc

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: building a pc
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:41:03 -0500

on Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:12:01PM -0600, Snow Tempest wrote:
> What _does_ one need to know to build a pc? I'd like to get a used
> computer and run Linux at home, but I don't know much about hardware. I
> should probably just buy someone's old system, for now, but at least for
> future reference I'd like to know what's involved and if there are any
> references I could read.

It's not really that hard, but there's a steep learning curve. I'd
recommend you get a copy of Barry Press' "PC and Upgrade and Repair
Bible". It's great, and gives you more information than you'd ever
need (but the info you'll need when you need it). There are also a
zillion online tutorials, of varying quality:

http://www.daileyint.com/build/
http://www.dansdata.com/buildpc.htm
http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2622015,00.html
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/97/1/

And so on.

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/