internetworkers - Proposed Org. Structure

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Thomas <mdthoma AT attglobal.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Proposed Org. Structure
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:19:11 -0500

Below I've proposed an organizational structure for
Internetworkers. I'd like us to toss this idea around
and hopefully adopt it so that we can start exploring
some of the great ideas that our group is fostering.
Hopefully in the next couple of months we can
start to put this plan, or whatever modification
of this plan, in to action.

Goal: Provide a bare minimum of organization for Internetworkers
so that new ideas can be tracked, explored and implemented.

Strategy: Honor the current loose, decentralized nature of the group
(and general distrust of centrally managed organizations) by mirroring
the RFC model of Internet development.

Examples:

- The monthly gatherings, web site, web site redesign, picnic
and this proposal would all be Internetworkers RFCs.
- Lori's Non-Profit Recruiting Network idea is the perfect example
of why we need a system like this
- The formation of a 501-3c board would also be an initiative that
I'd like to suggest.

Tactics:

A web page for submission of the RFCs with a message board. RFCs
should also be forwarded to the discussion list with a mechanism
such that replies are posted to the discussion list.

RFC Types:

Internet RFCs take different forms -- from standard proposals to
clarifications to suggestions of modification of existing practices
to jokes. Internetworkers RFCs should also take different forms
and I'd like to open a discussion as to the different types that
we should have. There's no reason that we couldn't have hybrids --
i.e., Resource-request RFC and Poll RFC

Simple RFCs -- Plain RFC. Suggestion of some type that will
be posted to the web site and to the discussion list.
Poll RFCs -- can ask people to vote on an idea.
Call-for-participation RFCs -- Request to get other people
involved in an idea. Possibly routed to a list of people interested
in participation
Resource-request RFCs -- Request for a resource of some
sort (e.g., meeting space, funds, etc.)

Thoughts?

  • Proposed Org. Structure, Michael Thomas, 02/25/2001