internetworkers - Re: history question: Mosaic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dykki Settle" <dykki AT settle.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: history question: Mosaic
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:24:50 -0500

Lou's last name was Montoulli, a dour but enjoyable fellow who always
maintained that any web page that was not usable by a fixed text terminal
browser (his baby Lynx, for example) was essentially useless. Then he went
to Netscape and created the immortal fishcam, and had one of the coolest
(and largest) eels I have ever seen in private captivity, much less in a
cube farm.

To add a little NC to the history. Andrew Busey was the project manager
behind Spyglass Mosaic, he is a North Carolina native who left Virex (an old
Triangle anti-virus company) to go to Illinois to manage Mosaic. He then
got hung up on chat software and started IChat in Austin, Tx, which later
sold the IChat brand and technology to Koz, once again right here in the
Triangle. I love it when things come full circle.

My two nickels...
:)>
Dykki