internetworkers - Re: un-Web-o-cratic, or Links/Information as Commodity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: un-Web-o-cratic, or Links/Information as Commodity
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:05:24 -0500

on Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 12:58:42PM -0500, David Demers wrote:
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001224.html

> >model, nor is advertising, which doesn't work on the Web. Most
> >Internet companies are now pursuing an enterprise strategy to make
> >money, but they'll soon begin turning to individual customers for
> >revenue as well.

Of course, this is the guy who's been pushing "micropayments" as the
panacea for all Web ills since he started writing; he seldom gives any
data to back up his conclusions; he has a limited idea of what the
Web is and can be, as is evidenced by his refusal to believe that any
Web user might be searching for entertainment, art, or community; and
his recent book is a long series of similarly untenable and unsupported
and contradicting claims. But hey, he's an "expert".

Sorry, I think Nielsen is the most overrated personality on the Web.

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/