internetworkers - Re: internetworkers digest: December 29, 2000

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: AlMaur777 AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: internetworkers digest: December 29, 2000
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:51:50 EST

In a message dated 12/30/00 12:02:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu writes:

Writers are, an editor assured me many years ago, a dime a dozen.
Writers (I've made my living as one for nearly 30 years) are generally
the lowest paid professional group in just about any organization --
news or tech.

I've also been a writer for 30 years, but no one ever got my work all that
cheaply. A publisher said something similar to me once and the only part of
me he saw after that was my back. His magazine tanked, too, because good
writers are not and  never been inexpensive.
It's pretty much like everything else. You get what you pay for.
I didn't mention Wired when I discussed sites in trouble because I don't have
any idea how they're doing.

It's true, that even the best writers are underpaid compared to others in
business organizations or even publishing houses and other media companies.
And that's partly because many people responsible for hiring writers really
don't have much of an idea what makes them worth money and which are a dime a
dozen.

But re content sites, I write about business, and sometimes you have to cut
throught the guff and take a look at the bottom line.

The bottom line is that content sites in general will have to evolve a
proverbial "path to profits," or they won't exist.

Allan

Allan Maurer/staff writer/Triangle/Charlotte
amaurer AT LocalBusiness.com
PHONE NUMBER: 919-667-1733.
500 N. Duke Street,55106, Durham, N.C. 27701

http://www.LocalBusiness.com - "Your local business destination on the web"
http://www.digitalsouth.com - digitalsouth magazine - The South's source for
technology, venture capital and finance.

  • Re: internetworkers digest: December 29, 2000, AlMaur777, 01/02/2001