internetworkers - Re: Personalization -- opinions?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Personalization -- opinions?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:17:48 -0500

on Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 04:30:44PM -0500, mdthomas AT mindspring.com wrote:
> >But beyond that knee-jerk reaction to BV,
> >I'd be curious as to how the "someone"
> >envisions "personalization" fitting into
> >their site - what is the scope of their
> >requirements, in other words? And why would
> >you consider paying money for generalized
> >bloatware in the first place?
>
> Per Personalization: the idea is simple. "Match
> content to the web user." The problem is complex.
> "Users" must exist as unique entities, and they
> must be represented as composites of various
> pre-defined data points. "Content" must be similarly
> atomic and all the individual entities of "content"
> must be sortable on a best-fit/worst-fit axis
> for each possible "User." Both "Users" and
> "Content" sets must be overridingly complete to
> be effective. Oh, and then your matrix must
> be represented in a realworld presentation
> layer, and the whole experience must be pleasing
> enough so that the "Users" come back and gain value
> from having the site personalized in the first
> place.

Um, yeah. I *know* what personalization is in vacuous tech consultant
speak. I was more curious what sort of personalization the site needs
to offer, in real-world examples, like:

- site should greet user with user's name as registered
- site should be presented using user's chosen layout
- site should present user with tailored content, both primary
and in configurable "islands" (e.g., my.yahoo.com)
- we really want stock quotes and portfolio management
- news would be cool, too.

Different personalization needs can be answered by different services,
either atomically or as a monolithic solution, or as a composite bundle.
Knowing your needs is sort of a pre-requisite for the whole "recommending
the best software" thing working properly. Heh.

> Per buying bloatware:
>
> If people didn't buy bloatware, what would
> happen to the bloatware training & consulting
> market? That's a major part of the GDP! You
> want us to have a high GDP, right??

Nope. I want things to work right and cost about what they're worth.

tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/