internetworkers - Egarden wins!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Egarden wins!!
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:45:18 -0500

From Christina Dyrness's column today:

http://www.newsobserver.com/standing/collections/dyrness/500000019852.html

Linda Watson is waving her virtual arms these days. "We are not Garden.com!"
she is cyber-shouting. When Garden.com, the consumer gardening site,
announced it was shutting down last week, Watson, founder of Egarden.com,
started getting confused calls.

Egarden, an online marketplace for the lawn and garden industry, and a
subsidiary of U.S. Home & Garden, is doing well, employing 31 in Raleigh, 45
nationwide. Egarden went the B2B route; Garden.com targeted consumers.

"I have mixed emotions as I see Garden.com shutting down retail operations,"
says Watson. "I used to have a picture of their president, Chris Sharples, in
my home office to make sure I was appropriately paranoid about the
competition."