internetworkers - Re: For the future of the Triangle ...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steve Burnett <sburnett AT webslingerz.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: For the future of the Triangle ...
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:21:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Thomas A. Beckett wrote:

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52561-2000Oct31.html
>
> Does this mean that the CED should be dropping flyers about RTP career
> and quality of life opportunities in gay bars around San Francisco, New
> York and Chicago? Does this mean that gay-friendly Durham is poised to
> overtake Cary and Chapel Hill in numbers of high tech startups? I never
> thought of Austin, TX, as a gay mecca. Like the article says: What
> does it /mean/?

Since the article states they weren't able to break down geographically
past large metropolitan area level, any effect from Durham wouldn't be
perceptible as Durham qua Durham versus the rest of RTP.

As regards Austin TX, my friends and acquaintances who do and have lived
there have described it as the locale in Texas most liberal and tolerant
of non-mainstream lifestyles. What this translates as is that if you're
perceived as gay or otherwise not "normal", you're less likely to be
attacked for that perception than if you're in, say, Denton Texas, and
you're also likelier to survive the experience (anecdotal evidence only
from long-time residents, no hard data to back this paragraph up).

I liked Austin the time I spent there: any place where I can see a living
legend of blues (Leadbelly) and duelling robot performance theatre with
explosives (Survival Research Theatre) the same day isn't all bad. Having
the church of the subgenius and my favorite non-local ISP (Illuminati
Online) there doesn't hurt. I just wish summers weren't so freaking hot
there.

regards,
Steve Burnett
Steve Burnett Admin, webslingerZ sburnett AT webslingerz.com
http://www.webslingerz.com/sburnett