internetworkers - Re: internetworkers digest: September 29, 2000

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: internetworkers digest: September 29, 2000
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:47:20 -0400

I've been a happy Centura customer since they were (in part) People's
Bank, over 10 years ago.

They're very wired -- you can bank 24/7 by 'phone, personal computer,
and ATM -- and they've always been very very responsive. They gave me a
wallet card with their 800 telephone number and a quick guide to their
v-mail menu that also has areas where you can write three account
numbers (making constant carrying of the checkbook irrelevant). Until
the counter workers at a particular branch get to know you, they tend to
check your ID when you come in, which I consider a positive trait. When
I created a "daughter account" for my young'un, we had a problem with
the ATM cards but they worked with me -- with apparent pleasure,
patience, and sympathy -- until we got it worked out. They upped my
check overdraft protection when I needed a little extra cash to purchase
a car. Every now and then I need to talk to a real live person on the
'phone and have never had a problem getting one during business hours;
when I do, they're always very very helpful. In short, their customer
service is excellent!

They're small enough to care, large enough to be effective. BOA, on the
other hand, is so big that it really doesn't matter to them whether you
like them or not if you're a regular-guy-type customer and don't have a
bundle in their mutuals....

"Acipa Media Inc." wrote:

> Ditto on the Bank of America thing.
>
> I went into bank of America to deposit a check. I still go into the bank to
> do everything because as a wee lad my Dad dispensed some wisdom and said,
> "Always go into the bank to do your banking. This way they get to know you
> if you ever need that extra service."
>
> So, I went into the bank to deposit a rather large check. I had forgotten
> my check book so I asked the teller to look up the account number for me.
> Well he apparently gave me the wrong number and the check never made it to
> my account. Weeks later I get a notice for three bounced checks. "Yikes!"
> They charged me $50, twice for each check to the tune of $300.00.
>
> Well I didn't get upset because we discovered what happened and surly BoA
> would refund the charges for the mistake. The branch manager informed me
> that they wouldn't refund because they can't be expected to provide that
> level of service for all their customers.
>
> Granted I was wrong to have forgotten my check book, but was it, is it
> unreasonable to expect this level of service form your friggin bank? So
> much for the wisdom of yesteryear.
>
> Signed
> Hello Centura
>
> PS, I wrote letters to corporate and got he standard form letter back.
> Still $300 poorer. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long story. Steve S.

<snip>

--
"B"ing mobile