internetworkers - Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political Solution

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political Solution
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:38:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Rachel Cox wrote:
->Heh. Do I? Gosh, I'm sorry. I meant to sound like someone
->who wants voters who care about the issues. Or is that too
->elitist?

No, it's not too elitist, but when you couch it in terms of "well I don't
want *them* [uninformed] voting in *my* [hyperinformed,
media-saturated] country", it sure as hell sounds like it.

-> I mean,
-> I'm sure you know everything about every issue, mind.
->
->I'm not asking *anyone* to know everything about every issue,
->and it strikes me as disingenuous for you to suggest I was;
->it's be three or four full-time jobs, as you must well know.

I didn't imply you wanted to have other people know everything about
everything - just suggested that you did.

My vote has been decided for several months now, and I'm pretty confident
that in casting it I will be performing not only my civic duty but also
doing so in a well-informed manner. Leastwise, I'm informed to the point I
*want* to be informed. Is there a reason to continue paying attention if
my mind will not change?

->I *would* like them to care about them, and make the attempt
->to find out something about some of them. I don't think that's
->a lot to ask of someone who's going to be casting a vote on them.

But that wasn't what you said. You dismissed anyone who was "grabbed" off
the street and registered to vote as an uninformed ignoramus. And that was
where my hackles were raised.

->You're free to fight for a country run by uninformed, apathetic
->voters, but I don't think it's a good idea. Of course, you and

Great! So you're moving to Canada? or somewhere else in the world where
the population is so much better than here?

->I have yet to see eye-to-eye on anything that I'm aware of, so
->that we disagree on this as well doesn't come as much of a shock.
->Indeed, I'm fairly confident that if we ever *do* agree, we'll
->probably both be tempted to reexamine our positions.

*plonk*

Cheers
KJ