internetworkers - How'd they do that?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Renee Harper <Renee.Harper AT sas.com>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: How'd they do that?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:06:23 -0400

Oh wise ones.

I've noticed several sites doing some nice surveys, but I can't figure out
exactly what they are doing. Here's basically what happens:

I spend some time at their site, click on a number of links, then this window
pops up and asks if I will answer a few questions. I can answer then, wait
'til later (minimizes the window), decline, or say that I don't know enough
about the site yet. I am not logged into these sites, so I haven't provided
them with any information (other than what they can collect on me :)

Now that I've dismissed the survey, I can't seem to get it back. Its like
they know that I've already seen it, which they probably do.

What I can't figure out is what technology is behind it. Are they displaying
it after a given time interval, a given number of link clicks, or some random
pattern? Any pointers would be excellent!

For reference, I encountered these surveys at
http://www.microstrategy.com/
http://www.ibm.com/developer/

Thanks a million,
Renee

  • How'd they do that?, Renee Harper, 08/15/2000