internetworkers - Re: Known for its mild nightlife -- True.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Heather Hesketh <heather AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Known for its mild nightlife -- True.
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:52:49 -0400

At 09:50 AM 8/15/2000 -0400, uzoma nwosu wrote:

>http://www.news-observer.com/tuesday/business/Story/213450p-209019c.html
>
>And that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Congrats on the publicity, Uzi. Nice job and I'm glad to see that someone is lighting a fire under the local VC to get them to start appreciating the community around them more.

One thing that got me a little hot after reading the article, though, was the mention of our movie nights as if events that don't exclude families can't be fun or bonding. I'm all for partying, but I'm also fairly strong on inclusion. Some folks don't want to have their whole lives be just colleagues and VC. They want lives that are more integrated.

One of the things I love about RTP vs. San Fran or similar regions is that here you can be an Internet professional, even a sexy dotcom type, and still have a life outside the dotcom world or that at least integrates with the dotcom world and adds something to your life outside of work besides just booze. For some folks having life be a rave is fine. For others life being a rave is boring and unfulfilling. Both types can be kicking designers, programmers, business people, and [insert skill set that makes a successful dotcom].

Heather

--
Heather A. Hesketh ! hesketh.com/inc
Web consultant ! vox: 919.834.2552 x12