internetworkers - peer to peer takes off?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: peer to peer takes off?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 01:50:22 -0400

Here's an article from the Post about how peer-to-peer software
development is all of a sudden a hot ticket to venture capital.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59699-2000Jul17.html He
does screw up the analogy* with Napster and Yahoo! and ultimately
concludes that p2p is anarchistic and evil. Is "p2p" the next wave? I
don't get it. I mean, I get the Gnutella concept and its attractions,
but I just don't get why all of a sudden there are a dozen startups out
there imitating Gnutella.

TaB

*(Napster is actually more analogous to Yahoo! than not. Yahoo! is not
a central information repository, it's an index. Napster is an index,
too.)

  • peer to peer takes off?, Thomas A. Beckett, 07/18/2000