internetworkers - ICANN Board -- Nominate me!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: ICANN Board -- Nominate me!
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:33:43 -0400

Having activated my at-large membership, I now humbly request any
other
ICANN members among the InterNetWorkers crowd to please nominate me for
one of five seats representing the At-Large membership on ICANN.
Details here:
<http://www.icann.org/nomcom/call.htm>

I'm preparing a statement showing my relation to the Criteria for
Selection shown on that page. If you are so kind as to want to nominate
me, drop me a line and I'll forward that to you along with my resume.

I should state that I suspect that ICANN operates under an
unconstitutional delegation of authority from the U.S. Department of
Commerce. However, along the lines of this country's official policy
towards China, I am seeking office in a spirit of constructive
engagement. (All the same, you might not want to mention that
particular bit of information when nominating me.)

There are presently some very serious issues with ICANN, including a
lack of transparency and accountability in its operations and the
appearance that it has effectively been captured by a segment of
industry. I hope to help change that. I would advocate for a more open
system of allocating domain names and IP numbers worldwide, and if
possible a more widely distributed means of administering that.

If you are not already an At-Large member, it is not too late to
join.
Register here: http://members.icann.org/

Thanks for your kind attention to my humble request.

Thomas Beckett