internetworkers - Re: Get DoubleClick Privacy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Get DoubleClick Privacy
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:00:58 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, B Holroyd wrote:
> I received this tip from a friend:

<snip>

Why not just turn cookies /off/? That's in effect what you're doing
anyway, unless those cookies you have that remain never expire or
change at all. I'm really concerned that paranoiac knee-jerk response
to one set of evil scumbags is going to set Web development back five
years. Cookies are good. DCLK is evil. There's a difference. The evil
is that DCLK is supposedly combining their anonymized records with a
database containing lots of names/addresses, /if/ the vendors agree
to provide the crosswalk at purchase/demo survey time.

If you're concerned about DoubleClick, why not just define yourself
a DNS record for ad.doubleclick.net, pointing to localhost? That's
what I did, so now whenever we would see a DLCK ad before, we see a
blank graphic. Whee.

> > http://www.doubleclick.net/optout/

I've heard on a few other lists that this URL no longer works. I've
also heard on a few other lists that although it originally set the
cookie to "OPT_OUT", it was happily overwritten later.

Steve