internetworkers - Re: Our orator

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Our orator
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:36:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Thomas Beckett wrote:
> If you haven't already, definitely read Christina Dyrness's interview
> with our own Steven Champeon in today's N&O Biz section. As usual,
> Steven is interesting and articulate.

...in email, and a babbling moron over the telephone :) But thanks :)

> Interestingly, Christina introduces him as "a great online orator".
> While I fully agree in the sense she intended, my semantic brain cannot
> sit still with that usage. This is because the word "orator" comes from
> the Latin root for "mouth": one who uses his mouth. So "online orator"
> is rather a contradiction in terms. He uses his fingers, not his
> mouth. (Actually he uses his head, but the fingers -- or mouth -- form
> the words.)

Well, I move my lips while I type, so it's not /that/ far out :)

> Potential tasteless jokes aside, perhaps a more appropriate word for
> an
> Internet rhetorician -- and I really love this -- is "digitor".
>
> "Steven Champeon: great online digitor." Can you roll with that
> one?

I'd have to say the word certainly describes a type.

Heh.

  • Our orator, Thomas Beckett, 01/03/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Our orator, Steven Champeon, 01/03/2000