internetworkers - [internetworkers] Iomega & WindowsNT

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: geschwin at email.unc.edu (Bill Geschwind)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Iomega & WindowsNT
  • Date: Thu Feb 20 10:27:02 2003

I have supported zip drives for NT. First, do not try to connect a USB
zip drive to an NT box, even if it has USB ports, since NT does not
support USB. I had a user try that once, and the result was not pretty
(although we were able to remove the drivers and repair the damage
without having to reinstall the OS).

I have also had parallel port and IDE zip drives in NT boxes, although I
have not messed with it in about a year and a half. I don't know if
Iomega has updated their zip tools software for NT in the meantime, but
the zip tools that they had at the time were very buggy. You could not
simply eject and replace a disk like you could with the win9x version of
the software, and oftentimes a reboot was required for the machine to be
able to read or grant access to the zip disk. I have not had these
problems with the win9x, win2k or winXP versions of zip tools, which
work the way they are supposed to.

I have not used zip drives specifically as backup devices, so I can't
comment on that specific point.

Early versions of the Iomega zip drive were buggy as well and
experienced a high rate of failure (the clicking sound of death). I
believe there was even a class-action lawsuit against Iomega at one
point because of these faulty drives. I have not experienced this
problem or heard about it with more recent zip drives.

HTH,
Bill

Bill Geschwind
Technical Assistance Manager
Department of Technology and Systems Support
Division of Student Affairs, University of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill
03 Teague Hall, CB# 5510 (919) 962-5629
Chapel Hill, NC 27599 geschwin AT email.unc.edu