internetworkers - [internetworkers] google buys pyra

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: joey at metalab.unc.edu (Joey Carr)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] google buys pyra
  • Date: Wed Feb 19 13:02:55 2003

I have to preface this by saying that I have a sort of fetishistic
fixation on Google. I love Google.

This acquisition is exciting because Google won the search engine wars
without becoming as much of a villain as Microsoft did in winning the
browser war. I don't think I've seen anyone use a search engine except
Google in years. Does anybody out there even bother with, like, Yahoo
anymore?

Google managed to obtain the monopoly by simply outperforming the
competition rather than leveraging their OS monopoly. If Google has set
their sights on becoming the world leader in Blogging, then they're going
to bring more and better services to the blogging community than we've
ever seen. Unless, of course, they decide to leverage their search-engine
monopoly to ensure that only Google blogs get read, which would be very
illegal if they profit by it. Based on Google's current track record I'm
willing to trust that they'll do the right thing... so I'm excited for the
outcome.

-Joey