ibiblio-announce - Re: [ibiblio-announce] Testing ibiblio-hosted domain web sites

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ibiblio-announce] Testing ibiblio-hosted domain web sites
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:44:19 -0500

Based on some of the questions, I need to add some further details
about the test environment.

* There's a server named login-test.ibiblio.org that has your login
credentials from login.ibiblio.org. Use login-test to access the test
log files. Beware of adding this hostname to any scripts because it
will be deprecated after the migration.

* The test environment is a copy of the current live environment.
There are data sync jobs running infrequently now, but they'll
increase to daily next week. Any changes you make to files in
/public/html, /public/vhost, or /public/ftp will be overwritten the
next time the data sync runs.

* The databases are also copies. It takes 4-6 hours to dump, copy,
and import them all. That should give you an idea of how long the
sites will be down (at a minimum) during the migration.

* Your home directories are read only on login-test.ibiblio.org to
avoid confusion around the file sync and change overwriting behavior
described above. If you'd like to discuss this specific item, let's
take it up on the webgroup list.

* Please ask questions on the webgroup list instead of emailing me
directly. I think the discussions will be helpful to a broad group.

Thanks,

-jrr