ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Mirrors/distributions migration schedule

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Mirrors/distributions migration schedule
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 13:40:24 -0500

Short version:

ibiblio will migrate mirrors.ibiblio.org, distro.ibiblio.org, and
fedora-archives.ibiblio.org on Tuesday, Jan 11, 2011. The start time
will be roughly 9 am EST.

IMPORTANT: If you manage files hosted on any of these URLs, please
read below. This migration affects your workflow.

See the new systems at:

http://mirrors-test.ibiblio.org
http://distro-test.ibiblio.org

Long version:

As I described, the first group of services we will migrate to new
infrastructure are software mirrors and linux distributions.
Specifically, the three URLs listed above will shift to new hosts with
different IP addresses. Since DNS changes are not instant, the
migration of traffic will be gradual. It may take as much as a week
for DNS caches to expire around the globe. Most should update within
a few hours, though.

Most of the files for mirrors and distributions are updated via
automated sync jobs. However, some directories are manually updated
through accounts on login.ibiblio.org. To accommodate the few
projects that use the login server, I have created
login-test.ibiblio.org (use ssh). Logins and passwords should be the
same. However, please note the following:

* User home directories are not present, and you'll see an error when
you log in. The test login server is merely a channel for managing
files in mirrors/distributions directories. We'll migrate the home
directories in a few weeks.
* Password changes will be reverted back to what is set on login.ibiblio.org
* Some software packages have not been installed on the test server.
Please submit a help request via http://www.ibiblio.org/help/request/
if missing software blocks your ability to manage
mirrors/distributions files. Note that we'll tackle the broader set
of packages to install prior to migrating www.ibiblio.org.

We need help testing the new systems. Web, ftp, and rsync are all
running on mirrors-test.ibiblio.org and distro-test.ibiblio.org. If
you have any questions or run into problems, please submit a help
request or respond to me directly.

Lastly, if you have general comments or discussion, please use the
webgroup AT lists.ibiblio.org email list to include your ibiblio
colleagues.

Thank you,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] Mirrors/distributions migration schedule, John Reuning, 01/06/2011