ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Seasons changes at ibiblio

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: paul jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Seasons changes at ibiblio
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:33:05 -0500

Starting with the sad news:

After four years at ibiblio as our lead systems admin, Ken Chestnutt has left to join http://paypros.com Ken brought not only his expertise in managing systems, but his good humor, good talk and good baking to ibiblio. He was also the major behind the scenes manager of our seamless and much needed move to ibiblio-branded GMail and GApps just to name one of the very good changes that he helped bring to us all. Many of you know Ken through his through attention to RT tickets, but be assured he did much more including being captain of our move to MCNC during his first months here. We'll miss Ken greatly.

On to the other news:

ibiblio has added --in addition to our hosting services with our most recent addition "Nepali Language Resource Center. Resources for Nepali language computing" and our radio streaming services aided by new iPhone apps for NPR and WUNC and WXYC-- support for a campus-wide Confluence-based wiki farm (working with the UNC Graduate and Professional Student Federation and ITS) and a new suite of services called web.unc.edu which begins with an installation of WordPressMU (working with UNC College of Arts and Science OASIS).

We're also moving to host many of our services on IBM blades running under NCSU's Virtual Computing Lab software as part of our work with the Shared University Research Grants. This approach promises better security and better performance in the future. We'll also be working with ITS's Research Computing and the UNC DICE http://dice.unc.edu on a new set of storage solutions for ibiblio.

The University is feeling budget pain along with the rest of the state. Some of that pain is being passed on to ibiblio.

We're getting some help from IBM Shared University Research grants and just this week from a gift from the Anonymous Fund of the Triangle Community Foundation. Much thanks to both.

You can help too by going to https://secure.ibiblio.org/gift/ and returning the love to ibiblio.

Best wishes to you in the coming year,
Paul

  • [ibiblio-announce] Seasons changes at ibiblio, paul jones, 12/15/2009