ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Notes from the migration to GMail

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: ken chestnutt <ken AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Notes from the migration to GMail
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:21:17 -0400

Hi Folks,
It's been four days since we flipped the MX record and repointed all our mail from the ibiblio.org mail servers to the servers at GMail.  In summary, there were a few bumps, but everything seems to be working now and we hope you are happy with the transition.

I apologize for not warning everyone about the problem with DNS propagation but on the whole, everything went smoothly.  Dave Patton has recognized one issue with email forwarding and SPAM but he also forwarded a link which suggested a work around.  The problem is that GMail is happy to forward your mail, but not your spam.  If you want to check your spam folder for false positives you have to log into your account.  Here is a link which should help you set your forwarding up so *all* your mail, including spam, is forwarded.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/24/how-to-disable-and-deactivate-spam-filter-protection-in-gmail-or-google-mail/

This isn't a perfect solution as I understand it doesn't completely forward all the mail but it's the best solution we have right now.

Some users are also reporting problems posting to our listserv lists and we are working with these users on a case by case basis.

Other than that, everything is working as expected.  If you are experiencing any sort of problem, please open a ticket.  If you you are experiencing a problem, chances are someone else is as well.

Thank you for your patience during this migration.

ken

--
ken chestnutt
linux administrator

http://shinydistraction.com
I blog so you don't have to.

  • [ibiblio-announce] Notes from the migration to GMail, ken chestnutt, 04/03/2009